Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top Ten Books I'd Give to People Who Haven't Read Non-Fiction



Today I'm linking up with The Broke and The Bookish for their Top Ten Tuesday feature. Today's topic is: Top Ten Books I'd Give to People Who Haven't Read ____ (fill in the blank). 

I chose to focus on Non-Fiction. I really love reading non-fiction books because I always feel like I'm learning something new and life is about learning new things everyday. Non-fiction tends to get a pretty bad rap. People say it's boring, or too long, or they don't want to read educational things after being in school or at work all day. But, you know what? Non-fiction is such a broad genre and there are so many books about so many different topics, that I'm sure anyone can find something they're interesting. 

So here I present 10 Non-Fiction books about different topic that I think you'll find interesting. 

...about feminism.



1. When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins
A book for those who don't exactly know everything about the history of women and the feminist movement in the USA. Simple, easy to read. Collins combines history with personal anecdotes of regular women who were involved or affected by these events.

2. How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
Moran is blunt, funny, and crass. She takes real important issues in feminism and funny, weird stories from her life. At the very least, you're in for a fun read. 

...about the Middle East



3. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
In this, you'll see the transformation of Iran after the Islamic Revolution of 1979. Nafisi was a literature professor at the time and through discussions of different novels she tells the stories of women, including her students, and the difficulties they faced in an increasingly oppressive regime. 

4. The Complete Persepolis (#1-4) by Marjane Satrapi
Similar, to the one above, Satrapi grew up in Iran and witnessed the Islamic Revolution first-hand. In this she tells her story about living in Iran and studying in France. AND, it's a graphic novel - four short volumes. How cool is that?

...about famous people



5. Bossypants by Tina Fey
I think Tina Fey is one of the funniest people on TV. I love SNL  and 30 Rock and her book is equally funny, but she throws in a few tidbits of advice here and there. Loved it!

6. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Another funny lady in comedy. Star and creator of The Mindy Project. This book in particular just added to my overall love of Mindy Kaling. She's funny and witty and reading this just made me want to be best friends with her. It's an easy read. 

...about personality/psychology



7. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
We're all readers here. So I'm guess a good chunk of us are introverts. I know I am! On that alone this is an interesting read about the mind of introverts, their contributions to the world, and even their advantages.

8. Outliers by Malcom Gladwell
Want to know what makes people successful? Gladwell argues that it isn't what kind of person they are, but more where they come from - the culture, their hobbies, they environment they grew up in.

...about economics



9. Supercapitalism by Robert Reich
Robert Reich is a former Secretary of Labor under President Clinton, he's also an economic and public policy professor at UC Berkeley. I have a special place in my heart for this book since I took Robert Reich's undergraduate course at UC Berkeley. I can't help but recommend it to everyone. He makes economics about every day people and easy to understand. 

10. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
Economics is at the root of pretty much everything. Levitt and Dubner collaborated to present the statistics behind some pretty important issues: everything from drug dealers to parenting to schoolteacher. It's an interesting read that will leave you thinking about the economics behind other things in your life. 



I hope you find some interesting reads!

For more about Top Ten Tuesday, future topics, and how to participate, click here




 





2 comments:

  1. The Wealthy Barber is another great one on economics, if you've never tried it :)
    Here's my list, if you wanna check it out. :) I'm experimenting with doing them on YouTube now, please like and comment if you can :) http://youtu.be/dapaLyFe-N0?list=UUP4Ao6fj3mLXHqOSSxyqh8w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matthew! I've never read The Wealthy Barber, but I'll be looking it up soon :)

      Delete